Wednesday, 15 July 2015

Toning Blonde Hair - La Riche Directions Silver Toner


Having blonde hair pretty much all my life has always been pretty simple, however as I've gotten older my natural light blonde hair colour has darkened to a dull dark blonde borderline lightish brown. So over the past few years, as I'm sure I've mentioned many times on my blog, I've been dying my hair a very light blonde as it matches my skin tone best.
As anyone who regularly dyes their hair blonde will know the hardships of maintaining it and more importantly toning it. When dying your hair blonde, you are more than likely going to deal with some unwanted tones of 'yellow' and even brassy tones to it, which when desiring a light silver or even white blonde can prove to be annoying.

Despite not going for a white/silver blonde I still personally hate having yellow and brass tones to it, and although I cannot rid them all unless I go blonder, I can at least tone my hair at its current shade to reduce all yellow and brass tones to a minimum. I usually use my trustly ol' Fudge Clean Blonde Violet Shampoo to tone my hair, however I find this doesn't last as long as I would like it too with it being a shampoo toner and its also quite pricey at over £10 per bottle. So I have recently tried out the La Riche Directions Silver Toner which is a semi-permanent hair colour which makes it last longer, and with it already containing conditioner you do not need to dilute this at all which again concentrates it giving you good colour coverage. It also has the added bonus of being very inexpensive at £3.75 a pot (including delivery). I purchased mine off eBay from here.

Now in terms of application,it recommends applying it on to wet hair, however I was a little bit daring and chose to apply on to dry hair as I found it took to my hair better when dry. And although it does look a little scary when applied remember that it is a toner and not a dye, so no blue or green tones will actually end up in your hair!

(Half way through application.)

When it comes to time its really subject to the inidividual as to how 'silver' you'd like your hair, but anywhere between 30-60 minutes is just fine. On this particular occasion I do believe I left it on for about 40 minutes. I just listened to music and ran a bath while I waited for the toner to take to my hair.

Then all is left is to rinse out completely and to dry and style as normal. The best thing about toners is that if its too silver for you then not to worry, as it will fade after some washes, also if its not silver enough you can repeat the process again without worrying about it damaging your hair as this is a conditioning toner and not a dye.


Before:

After:

As you can see from the images due to my blonde being slightly too dark the toner can't eliminate ALL brassy tones, it has however toned the majority of my hair leaving me with less brassy tones and much more 'silvery' tones to it.This is a great alternative to stop the urge to bleach your hair constantly when you're unhappy with its tone and the plus side is that its none damaging!!

Over all I am really impressed with this product and would recommend it!! Although you only get a small amount of the product, at its cheaper price and its reasonable size you can get at least 2-3 uses out of it, and probably even more when used on shorter hair! This can be used as a weekly- fortnightly toner and can be even further maintained when paired with toning shampoo's.

So that is my impressions of the La Riche Directions Silver Toner, be sure to let me know if you've tried this product out as I'd love to know your opinions. 
Thank you so much for reading!
Until next time!